The Bloomberg Billionaires Index is a regularly updated ranking of the world’s richest people in terms of net worth. This article extracts the top 100 billionaires as of January 10, 2018.
Among the top 10 wealthiest billionaires, there are two billionaires with a capital city as their birthplace.
Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim heads Latin America’s biggest mobile phone operator complemented by bank and mining holdings, stakes in the New York Times and Caixabank and interests in Mexico’s construction industry. Moscow-born billionaire Sergey Brin is president of the holding company Alphabet which owns Google, the world’s largest search engine.
Richest Billionaires Born in a Capital City
The listing below showcases the 16 billionaires born in a national capital city who also appear among the 100 wealthiest people from the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
|6||Carlos Slim||$64 billion||January 28, 1940||Mexico City, Mexico|
|10||Sergey Brin||$53.6 billion||August 21, 1973||Moscow, Russia|
|38||Serge Dassault||$22.9 billion||April 4, 1925||Paris, France|
|40||Tadashi Yanai||$21.7 billion||September 24, 1901||Tokyo, Japan|
|43||Len Blavatnik||$21.1 billion||June 14, 1957||London, England|
|45||Elon R Musk||$20.8 billion||June 28, 1971||Pretoria, South Africa|
|48||Thomas Peterffy||$20.1 billion||October 15, 1901||Budapest, Hungary|
|51||Vladimir Potanin||$19.9 billion||January 3, 1961||Moscow, Russia|
|57||Stefan Persson||$18.6 billion||October 4, 1947||Stockholm, Sweden|
|64||Alwaleed Al Saud||$17.6 billion||March 7, 1955||Riyadh, Saudi Arabia|
|66||Iris Fontbona||$17.3 billion||1942/1943||Santiago, Chile|
|70||Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi||$17 billion||May 2, 1944||Bangkok, Thailand|
|77||Thomas Peterffy||$16.3 billion||September 22, 1965||Rome, Italy|
|80||Charlene de Carvalho-Heineken||$16.1 billion||June 30, 1954||Amsterdam, Netherlands|
|96||Vagit Alekperov||$13.8 billion||March 5, 1902||Baku, Azerbaijan|
|97||Hasso Plattner||$13.8 billion||January 21, 1944||Berlin, Germany|
The leftmost column displays each billionaire’s ranking on the Bloomberg Index followed by the billionaire’s name, net worth in US dollars, date of birth as well as the capital city including country where the billionaire was born.
Significant Net Worth Changes
The fastest-growth in wealth among the richest billionaires born in a capital city belongs to Hungarian Thomas Peterffy, chairperson of the electronic broker garnering the highest average daily trade revenues Interactive Brokers. Peterffy and 7 other capital city born richest billionaires posted increases in their net worth as shown below.
- Thomas Peterffy (Budapest, Hungary): Up US$512 million
- Tadashi Yanai (Tokyo, Japan): Up $324 million
- Serge Dassault (Paris, France): Up $187 million
- Charlene de Carvalho-Heineken (Amsterdam, Netherlands): Up $184 million
- Vladimir Potanin (Moscow, Russia): Up $126 million
- Vagit Alekperov (Baku, Azerbaijan): Up $78.2 million
- Sergey Brin (Moscow, Russia): Up $59.4 million
- Len Blavatnik (London, England): Up $57.1 million
The increases in net worth show above as year to date as of January 10, 2018.
Stockholm native Stefan Persson endured the greatest decline in net worth among the richest billionaires born in a capital city. The Swedish billionaire serves as chairperson for the world’s number two retailer of private-label apparel, Hennes & Mauritz. The billionaires born in a capital city who posted declines in net worth including Persson are presented below.
- Stefan Persson (Stockholm, Sweden): Down US$333 million
- Carlos Slim (Mexico City, Mexico): Down $188 million
- Hasso Plattner (Berlin, Germany): Down $107 million
- Elon R Musk (Pretoria, South Africa): Down $98.7 million
- Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi (Bangkok, Thailand): Down $80.6 million
- Thomas Peterffy (Rome, Italy): Down $48.9 million
- Alwaleed Al Saud (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia): Down $12.9 million
- Iris Fontbona (Santiago, Chile): Down $5.51 million
Bloomberg, Bloomberg Billionaire Index. Accessed on January 10, 2018
Wikipedia, Carlos Slim. Accessed on January 10, 2018
Similarly, Wikipedia articles were used to identify the pertinent dates of birth and birthplaces for other billionaires used for our research.